Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, April 22, 2011

How I spent my Tuesday

Tuesday I woke up not feeling so well, and then at 9am it hit me and hit me hard. The stomach bug made a grand entrance. It was so bad that my husband had to call into work and play “Mr. Mom.” By about 3:00 in the afternoon, I couldn’t take it anymore. I nearly passed out and thought I was going to drown in my toilet after throwing up blood. Keep in mind that I had nothing to eat or drink at all that day or the night before, so I had no idea how I could keep getting sick. I called my doctor and he told me I had to go to my least favorite hospital, because if I showed signs of labor the other hospital (that I like) would not take me. Against my better judgment I went to that ER. I was seen right away, probably because I couldn’t stop vomiting in the waiting room. They took me back and started an IV and gave me Zofran through the IV. It didn’t work, so they added more. I finally got relief for about an hour, and then the IV fluid started making me sick. My OB came in at that time and told me I was severely dehydrated, and had a very bad UTI. I was shocked. Never in my life have I had a UTI. He said it was common when pregnant and even more with twins.

He then wanted an antibiotic started in my IV along with more Zofran and fluid. I told him I had started contracting and he checked me. My cervix was closed and thick so that was the best news all night. He left to go home and the ER took over. About 20 minutes into the new bag of IV fluids I got sick again. The ER doctor came in, I told him I was still sick and having contractions. He told me that he will give me Phenergan and that I’d be fine. So the nurse gave it to me and then took out my IV. I took a moment to throw up again and they told me it’s time to leave. I was thinking, “what the hell, I’m not better.” But I left, hoping my husband was outside waiting for me and he’s wasn’t. I sent him to the mall to pick up a birthday present for our daughter who was turning 6 on Wednesday. Even though I’m sick I want her to still have a happy day. That’s what being a mom is about.

So I was in the parking lot drugged up, tired, and I couldn’t stop vomiting. By the time my husband came,  I was throwing up blood again. He raised hell in the ER, and called my doctor. He told me just to go to L&D at the other hospital. I spent the night in L&D contacting every 3 minutes for a minute long. They slowly dripped the IV fluid in my arm with more Zofran and finally got it under control. I made it home just in time for my daughter’s birthday dinner. That was the best feeling to see her so happy, and so happy to see me home from the hospital.

The next morning I was running fever and still contracting, but not as bad or often. I go and see my doctor on Monday and he will run some more tests to see if labor is near. I have a feeling that bed rest is coming and I’m ok with that as long as babies stay in for at least another 8 weeks. Please keep these babies in your prayers that they won’t be in a hurry to get here.

5 comments:

Surrogate, Single Parent and Dating... said...

Oh my girl....saying lots of prayers for you. I'm so so sorry that happened and CAN'T believe the ER let you go like that!!!!! Hang in there and hope you are feeling better.

Jesse said...

Oh my goodness!! You poor thing!! Prayers this was just a "fluke" thing and all will be better! :)

Rebekah said...

Oh no! :( Soo, soooo sorry you're so sick and have been through so much. Healing thoughts for you and many more weeks of baking thoughts for the twins!!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for your prayers and support.

Andrea said...

Oh my, I'm so sorry that you are sick. I am also surprised at how the ER sent you packing when you clearly were not OK. I hope your hubby handled that one?