Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Life goes on

It’s been 2 ½ weeks since the birth of the twins and it seems like a lifetime ago. My life is going on like it did before I was pregnant. Many of my friends and family have been wondering how I’ve been since the birth and if I had any bond with the boys. From the beginning I prayed that God would guard my heart and the heart of my children and he answered my prayers. I had no bond with the babies. When I looked at them it was looking at my friend’s babies. I carried and loved those boys, but not the way a mother looks, loves and bonds with her children.

In fact, the day after the boys were born I pumped around the clock every couple hours and got nothing, no milk, and no colostrum. I asked the lactician why that was happening and she said that my body has not recognized that I gave birth, to give it time and my milk would come in. After 5 days my milk finally came in on the 4th of July. Now my free time is pumping for my surro-twins. Many people have been shocked that I would pump for the babies. Why would I not continue to still help these babies grow and thrive? In fact, one of the babies has a very sensitive stomach and is thriving on my milk. I’m so blessed that I can provide the milk to him and his brother.

I had my 2 week checkup last Thursday and all is healing well and there is no infection. I’m down 30 pounds with 15 pounds left to lose. I can’t believe how fast the weight is coming off! The babies also had their 2 week check up. “H” weighs 8 lbs and “W” weighs 7 lbs 3oz. I’m so proud of that.

I learned that the boys were the biggest twins that my doctor has ever delivered and the biggest that the hospital has ever had. And no NICU time too! Of course, that hospital has only been around for a year and half.

I have to say it’s been so great to have my 5 children keeping me busy. I think it made the transition much easier, as I had no baby blues. I didn’t with my #5 and I think it’s just being so busy, I don’t have time to cry or think about how I feel or should be feeling. I’m just proud and blessed at how it all started and ended. I have no regrets to being a surrogate and loved being able to finish a family’s dream of having more children. Seeing their face and hearing the excitement in their voice when they see or talk about their boys makes it worth it. I’m very blessed that my IP’s have allowed me to stay in their lives and have an open door to their home. There is not a day or moment that goes by that I don’t think about the boys. They will forever be a part of my life and a big part of my heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration to me!! Big twins...NO NICU...Super fast weight loss....and getting right back into "normal life"! You really are spectacular! Congrats on EVERYTHING++

-Jeni

Carrie said...

I think it's AMAZING that you are pumping for your surro-babies! Our sweet surrogate has agreed to pump for our little boys when they get here too. I don't understand how people can think negatively about pumping for the babies that you grew inside of you :/ oh well, everyone has their opinion.

Andrea said...

I'm so glad things are going so well for you right now. I love it. You are a brave woman and I admire you so. xoxo