On Wednesday night my IP’s called and said they were going to fly in on Thursday, since my doctor thought I would deliver on that day. Their flight was to arrive around 1 p.m. and they would rent a car and drive to the hospital arriving around 2 p.m. If I was to be induced they would be ready. I went to the doctor Thursday at 8:30 a.m. When he checked me I was at 5 c.m. and he wanted me to head to the hospital. I wanted to delay a bit to give my IP’s more of a chance of making it to the delivery. I went home, packed, picked up my husband and made it to the hospital at 10 a.m.
The hospital was very busy when we arrived and it took a while for a nurse to come in. The nurse came in about 40 minutes later to ask a bunch of questions and set up my I.V. As the nurse was asking about insurance, I wanted to make sure that the babies were on their parents insurance after delivery. She said she would make sure it all worked out because after her surro birth in March she’s still having insurance issues. I pause and said to her “did I hear you say you were a surrogate mom?” Her response; “Yes, 3 times.” I knew at that moment everything was going to be great and that I wouldn’t have to keep explaining my situation. She then started my I.V. around noon.
My doctor came in at 12:30 and said I was at a good 6-7 c.m. dilated. I couldn’t believe it. I was in labor without a steady stream of contractions. He told me they were going to start Pitocin, administer an epidural and then break my water. I had my epidural within 20 minutes and full blown labor started within 30 minutes. I could feel my whole right side and the contractions too. The anesthesiologist came back and fixed the epidural and it was perfect. I then just napped while my husband watched the Golf Channel.
At about 1:30 I could feel pressure and a feeling of wanting to push. Since I knew my IP’s would be there in less than an hour, I tried to not think about it. At 2:20 my IP’s walked in the door and I told her that Baby A was coming. The nurse came in at 2:30 to check me and Baby A’s head was close. My doctor was called and everyone had to put on scrubs and off to the O.R. we went. I was very excited because they allowed everyone to be in the room! My nurse draped me up to where no one could see anything from where they were standing. There was a big hurry to get ready as A was ready to see his parents. They turned off my epidural and I started to push. I couldn’t tell if I was pushing since I was so numb, but 2 pushes and Baby A was out. He was born at 2:58 and was 6 lbs. 15 oz. and very healthy.
Then within seconds of his birth they did a sonogram and found Baby B breech. My doctor tried to flip him as my body was pushing him out. The doctor then just had to grab his feet and pull him out. Baby B was born at 3:02 and was 6 lb 2 oz. He was also healthy and breathing on his own. My IP’s followed their boys to the warmer and then to the nursery. My husband stayed by my side but did sneak away for a moment to take some pictures.
Part 2 of this story will continue over the next day or two with the post birth and recovery stories.

8 comments:
so happy for everyone :) congrats jen -- you were amazing through everything!! whitney
Congrats!! Your so awesome! I still haven't writen my birth story. Happy Recovery!
awesome...so happy for you!!! can't wait to hear the rest of the story...i need to get writing on mine. Charity
Congrats to you!!! You are amazing! Can't wait for part 2.
Becci
Congrats!! So glad everyone is doing well!
So glad all went well! You are amazing!! Thank you for sharing your story. I cant wait for part 2!!
Congrats! Glad everyone is well and you should feel so proud:) Take care of yourself
Congratulations!!!
Post a Comment